Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:50 am 

aloc wrote:
Burnleymasher wrote:
Everybody always used to walk around, think it was a courting ritual :lol: :lol: :lol:

I saw some really big stars at The Imp, The Beatles for one, Walker Brothers (swoon), PJ Proby, who regularly used to split his pants.

There was also Sunday nights down Bank Hall Miners, (the one next to Thompsons Park). No wonder I was so slim in those days, it was all that WALKING and dancing that we did, and half a bitter was 9d, also Massey's Pale Ale. You could have a good night with entertainment and drinks and fish and chips on the way home, and still have change from 10 bob. :wink:

Stephanie.

I also saw the Walker Brothers and the Trogs at the Imp. I used to go down to the Bank Hall Miners every Sunday and the Mecca on Thursday nights. I started going to the Mecca on Saturday afternoons because I was too young for Thursday nights.
Andrea

I remember when Billy Fury raped a girl at the Nelson Imp. That must have been in the early 60's

I used to walk back from Nelson to Burnley and my sister used to wave to me from the bus as she passed me. I wanted to stay for the last dance but my sister was a good girl and caught the last bus....she enjoyed me getting a "pasting" when I got home.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:05 am 
Spider Lady

You're a party animal then? :shock:

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:21 am 
Computer Whizz

Never heard that about Billy Fury. I used to like him, he was another product of Liverpool.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:53 am 

I remember the Mecca on Thursday and Sundays on the balcony was a bar called the Rose Room where we used to buy barley wine awful stuff! Also in Burnley was the Circulation Club and the Hop Pub near Trafalger Flats. ,I dont remember going down the Imp until it became Nelsons Column,they had a deejay called Dave the Rave.
sues

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:07 pm 
Librarian

Sounds like a few of us were shaking our frames around the same dancefloors at the same time eh! :wink:

Stephanie.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:28 pm 
Computer Whizz

Ha ha--ships that passed in the night, I bet we wish we knew then what we know now. I would certainly not have ignored the tales my elders told me about their rellies. Hindsight :wink:

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:49 pm 

Stephanie, Is there a mention of a Bishop House Mill please ?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:10 pm 
Librarian

I have sent you a PM on the mill.

Stephanie.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:53 pm 

Burnleymasher wrote:
I have just acquired this book, it has some lovely old photographs in, some of them courtesy of the Briercliffe Society. It is full of information on all the weaving mills in Burnley, if anyone needs a look up just ask. :wink:
Stephanie.

I have only just joined the society. My late mom worked in the mills as a little girl 12 yrs old. Do you have any records of employees.? Her name was Annie Bannister.
Beryl Giles

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:04 pm 
Librarian

Hiya Beryl, Good to hear from you, the book that I mentioned names all the mills in and around Burnley, it gives details of each mill, size, owner, when built, where it was etc, but it does not list the names of it's employees I am afraid, that would be too good to be true. If you knew the name of the mill that your late Mother worked in, I could look it up for you and tell you about it.

Stephanie.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:17 pm 

Do you want to know anything about Queen Street Mill as a playground? Me and my friend David Jackson used to stand on a narrow platform above the coal heap inside the boiler room in order to warm ourselves in front of the boilers as David's dad shovelled coal into them. Circa 1962.
Oh God I must be getting old, sounding like an old fogey!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6