Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 4:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:09 am 
Computer Whizz

I never went down Bank Hall Miners, always Mecca on sundays. Once went down Burnley Cricket Club, think that was a saturday.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:49 am 
Librarian

When I was about 15 or 16 we used to get all dressed up and go down The Empress on a Saturday afternoon, the music and dancing was great, there was no alcohol sold, only pop, I was heartbroken when it burned down in the early 60's, before that The Empress used to be a rollerskating rink, my Dad remembers going when he was younger.
We also used to go to Rawtenstall Astoria on a Saturday night, I saw The Animals there, I remember it had a circular dancefloor too which was quite unusual. :D

Stephanie.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:20 pm 
Willfinder General

Gloria, Stephanie, did you both grow up around Briercliffe?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:44 pm 
Librarian

I was born at Bank Hall Maternity Hospital, lived with my Granparents for a short while on Browhead Road (near Bank Hall Pit), then moved to Jackson Street (Duke Bar area), then spent the rest of my childhood living on " the island" (top of Brougham Street). Went to Abel Street Junior school and Walshaw Sec Mod.

My son and his family now live in Briercliffe and have done so for several years, my Grandson has just left Briercliffe Junior School, and an excellent school it is to. As you already know my ancestors come from Briercliffe and Worsthorne. :)

Stephanie.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:01 pm 
Computer Whizz

Snap, I was born in Bank Hall and then lived on the outskirts of Burnley until I was 11yrs old, we then moved away. When I was 17yrs old we moved back, I got married at 26yrs and we lived up Haggate. In a couple of bounds we ended up over here in Ulnes Walton (Chorley/Leyland).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:09 pm 
Willfinder General

Okay, I was just wondering. My Mum, Andrea, lived at Leyfield street and Plumb street, Burnley and I thought it was interesting that you went to all the same social places.

My Dad was also born at the Bank Hall maternity hospital and lived at Duke Bar and later he moved to Harle Syke, Atkinson street if I remember. He went to Haggate school and can be seen here http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Pho ... gate12.htm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:23 pm 
Computer Whizz

Kris, there weren't many other places to go. Th'imp in Nelson used to have all the top groups on. You would have to pay a fortune nowadays to get as near as we did to the likes of the Beatles. Don't think the Stones ever played there though. We used to venture to Manchester occasionally to the Twisted Wheel, and that was before it was licensed, think the majority were on something else other than alcohol :wink:
Talking of places to go--Kris, are you going to the exhibition???

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:30 pm 
Willfinder General

My Dad mentioned seeing the Beatles so maybe that was at Th’imp at Nelson. What year did they play there? My Dad said they were not famous when he saw them.

What exhibition is that Gloria?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:38 pm 
Spider Lady

Duh! The Briercliffe Society exhibition - the silver anniversary!!! (I think :shock: )

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:44 pm 
Computer Whizz

Buck up Kris---- sept 13th and 14th Jubilee St.

The Beatles were down Th'imp in the early days, but also later, I only saw them once. The first time I think they were there was in 1962/63 although it would be 1963/64 when I saw them. Long before your time Kris. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:52 pm 
Librarian

Kris, They came to the Nelson Imp on May 11th 1963, I was there, I remember them opening the doors and we charged in to get near to the front, there was about four rows of seats at the front the rest was standing room only, we were on the second row right in the middle, I swear John Lennon sung Twist and Shout just for me, we were so close to them we could almost have touched them. I think your Dad's memory is playing tricks with him, they were really well known at this time. I dont know how we heard what they were singing, because we screamed all the way through :oops: I also saw them in Blackpool and Blackburn, they were fab, that was before the went a bit weird.

Stephanie.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:00 pm 
Willfinder General

Oops. I don’t think so. I will be going to Canada for a wedding this September but maybe I can do both.

Memories of Bob Caine, the Imp and those 'Swinging Sixties' ...
http://www.pendletoday.co.uk/columnists ... 3085595.jp

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:11 pm 
Librarian

That was super Kris, occassionally fights did break out, but in those days it was soon over, not a knife or kicking in sight, a proper fisticuffs, no gangs attacking just one person, if there was a fight it tended to be man to man or girl to girl, not many cat fights though I am glad to say. The girls seem as bad as the lads today, cant say I remember a lot of swearing either, there was more respect about in those days I think.

Stephanie.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:16 pm 
Willfinder General

The description of the clothing was rather funny.

I think I saw Gloria in the audience
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I91CFOC ... re=related

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:38 pm 
Librarian

Funny strange or funny ha ha? It is coming back into fashion again, as is the beehive, there is an art to it you know, but a tail comb is essential. Great times the 60's.

Stephanie.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next