Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:59 am 
Computer Whizz

If you send for the birth cert of Thomas Boulton (1838) it will/should give the maiden name of his mother.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:54 pm 

Hi Mel

I was born in Stoke and use to live on Trentham Road, as did my Grandparents who bought a house there down the road from the Hanford house (per Mum). We moved when I was about 4 or 5. Grandparents lived near the gates for the gardens. Moved to the States 21 years ago now but miss oatcakes with bacon and cheese and still support Stoke City :-) Have three, second cousins still there though.

Jo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:42 pm 
Spider Lady

I'm in Longton - if I can be of assistance....happy to help. My visits to the archives are not as often as I would like but I can add requests to my list.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:26 am 

Ohh thank you so much Mel :-) Is there a 1800 Catholic Church there? Think if anything my Catholic side would be buried there (except Granddad and Grandma that are at Trentham on Stone Road) heard some time ago that their graves were unattended :-( Looked on this site and could not see any graves from the Churches you mentioned before in the listings of graves, which started this whole blog thanks to Sheila and you. Think you said there were three at one point in time.

Thank you Gloria again for the amazing footwork you did for me, I really do appreciate it and will go and get the birth certificate online.

Hoping to come back home next year and want to come to Stoke for good memories and, of course, some oat cakes YUM. Will stay in contact and hope we can meet too ... I'm the Staffordshire lass with the American accent that is trying to find more about her Staffordshire roots LOL ;-)

Thanks again.
Jo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:33 am 
Spider Lady

You are unlikely to fine a Catholic Church that early - royal goings on drove Catholics underground in earlier days - apparently this is where Anglican Churches came from. I believe they were a bit of a cover.
For burials in the early 1800's, regardless of religion, you will be looking in the local Parish Churchyards (in the SoT area anyway). 1850's/1860's saw the opening of the council run cemeteries. I don't know of any Catholic Churchyards in Stoke-on-Trent though there were sections within the council cemeteries - Catholics were always buried in unconsecrated ground.

Is it the Boulton's you mean on Stone Road? I could go and have a nosey with a camera for you.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:56 am 
Computer Whizz

Let us know what the birth cert says when you get it Jo, we could then troll a bit further in another direction.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:32 pm 

Mel, I sent you a PM.

Will do Gloria seeing different places to get them from but will get there :-)

Jo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:17 am 
Spider Lady

Have just replied. I read it yesterday and then lost my reply because our internet dropped out!

I'm hoping to go at the weekend.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:17 am 
Spider Lady

Gloria wrote:
Ha ha I've been called a lot of things but awesome is a first :lol:
Do you have the marriage cert for your John Edwin Boulton who married Francis Jane Soulsby as it will have his father's name on it, and his occupation which will narrow it down?
I have found a marriage of a John Edwin Boulton, Newcastle under Lyme, Sept qtr 1898 but that was to either Frances Cronin or Annie Evans.---interesting two Frances'!! yours and this one.
There is a marriage for a Frances Jane Soulsby, London 1889, to either John Bolton or Edward Dixon-----would yours have been married in London?
Gloria

Taken from the Staffordshire section of the UKBMD database
Staffordshire Marriage indexes for the years: 1898
BOULTON John E CRONIN Francis Civil Marriage (Newcastle-Under-Lyme) Newcastle-Under-Lyme R/17/57

A civil marriage would suggest it took place in a Catholic Church or the Register Office.

As an update to this thread - I have been to Trentham Cemetery this morning and found the Boulton stone. Email with picture sent.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:38 pm 

Mel, you are AMAZING. You found the gravestone of Thomas and "Sadie" Boulton :-) I'm sooooo excited, thank you.

Think I am going to have to get Thomas' birth cert to find his proper Mum and Dad, as I was just doing searches on an Edwin Boulton (he went by Edwin but could have been a middle name) who had at least three children John, Thomas and Frank (Francis?) and found the John Edwin married to Sarah Soulsby that had Louisa Mary, Thomas, Francis and John. Mother said the name Louisa sounded familiar but she never met her and I can't find anything about her after the 1911 Census.

Thanks again Mel for getting those pics for me.

Jo