Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:47 pm 

Quinny is looking for members of the Ellenor family (surname variously spelt) who moved from Norfolk in mid to late 19th century, to Marsden/Briercliffe/Haggate areas (near Burnley, Lancashire).
Presumably they were looking for work.
One of my great grandmothers was Elizabeth Ellenor (b. 1860 in Mildenhall, Suffolk) but lived in Marsden/Nelson at the time of her marriage to a Rawson, in approx 1881.
I'm also trying to trace if David Wm Ellenor is her near relative (in 1901 he was a young widower living in Haggate which is a mile or so as the crow flies, from Marsden). This chap claimed to be born in London but that could be fanciful. There were lots of Ellenors in East Anglia and a few came to Lancashire it seems.
Is there any interest or awareness of Ellenors/Elenors/Eleners out there?!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:41 pm 
Computer Whizz

Hi Quinny,
you don't say if you have the censuses, but I looked at the 1881 to see how many Ellenors there were about in Briercliffe and surrounding areas. Only three
Sarah Ann Ellenor 2yrs living as a visitor with an Edmondson family in Abel St Burnley.James Edmondson was a tea merchantsman born Norfolk.
Henry Ellenor 26yrs born Norfolk living in Lane Bottom, Briercliffe as a general labourer with his wife
Betty 24yrs born Briercliffe cotton weaver.
In 1871 Henry "Elinor" is in Norfolk.
Hope this helps
Gloria

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:17 am 

Hello Quinny, this may help.
My Great Grandaunt Phoebe Nutter (1869-1898) married David Ellenor in 1870, my research shows he was indeed born in London.
In 1898 they had a child, also called Phoebe, Phoebe senior died the same year (possibly during childbirth).
1901 census has 3 year old Phoebe living as a boarder at Pinfold Place, Thetford, Norfolk with George and Emma Bennett.
1911 census has 13 year old Phoebe back in Briercliffe living at 4, Acre Street with 65 year old Martha Whittaker.
Claret

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:40 pm 

Thanks, Claret. I was aware that Phoebe senior possibly died as a result of childbirth. I also saw the link with young Phoebe back in Norfolk as a toddler. I'm glad you could confirm that D.W. E. was born in London, and that you are related to them in some way.
Thanks for the tip about Martha Whittaker - my mother's mother was a Whitaker (variously spelt!) so I don't know if there's another link there.

I went to the primary school just along from Acre Street and other places in Haggate - it's still a very small place but now linked to Harle Syke just down the hill, and with that, through to Burnley with scarcely a break. Other than that, Haggate being on a hill, still has the best views for miles.
Do you live in the area? I'm now in York.

If you have a tree on Genes Reunited or Ancestry.co.uk, could we share our trees information please?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:19 pm 

Hello again Quinny, glad to be of some help. I live in Burnley but a lot of Ancestors on my mothers side were from Briercliffe (Nutters, Shoesmiths and Halsteads).
I have a tree on Genes Reunited and shall send you a PM with my name as I would be glad to share tree`s.
Claret.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:29 pm 

Quinny, please let me know if you have received the PM, not sure if it has been sent.
Claret

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:50 pm 

Quinny, got your PM, but as yet nothing on Genes Reunited.
More info on David Ellenor;-
Mother`s name Drucilla Ellenor.
1901 census- David (Widower) boarding with John And Sarah Kippax at 20 Acre Street, Briercliffe.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:06 pm 

Thanks. I presumed but wasn't sure if Drusilla was his mother. If I remember correctly, she may have been single when she had him. I see her in Norfolk but couldn't link him up with london. BTW, how do you know about the london link apart from his claim?

I found it funny that in the census (1901?) that the Kippaxes were down as Kippers! That sort of mistake is a good way to find out how a family pronounced their own name, though!
My mother's father's family were Nuttalls and they were often pronounced Nuttl.

Myrna

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:27 pm 
Computer Whizz

My family are the Kippaxs and it has been spelt in any wonder of ways.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.