Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: COXON
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:22 pm 

My family name is 'coxon' (Hanley area late 1700 / 1800's)
My line of coxon's is as follows :
Thomas coxon, father of
Thomas coxon, father of
Ephriam coxon, father of
Martin coxon father of - up to the present day.
I am new to this site an fairly new to researching my family tree. :)
Any help/advice, info to cross check any of my history found would be very much appreciated.
Thankyou.

Post subject: Re: COXON
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:44 am 
Spider Lady

Welcome to the site.

This is a little out of the area for many of the forum members but I'm guessing you arrived here from one of my previous requests for help. They're a good bunch on here and the internet means that the world is a very small place.

I too have Coxons:o)) My line is as follows

Thomas Coxon, born abt 1815 in Hanley. He 'married' Sarah Coxon who was, according to census, born about 1815 in Etruria. I have never actually found their marriage. I have also failed to find Sarah on the 1841 census.

They had a son Joshua in 1857. He in turn had a daughter, Emily Ann in 1889. She married a Whitehead and that's where it all fits into my tree.

Is your Thomas the Thomas who married Martha Rushton?How exciting. I don't think I have connected with another Coxon researcher before (although my friends husband does descend from a Coxon..we've not yet made a positive connection)

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:08 pm 
Computer Whizz

Hi, welcome to the site. Sorry but I don't have any Coxons in my tree.
Can I just warn you of one thing---this family tree hobby becomes addictive and can give some real headaches. But it is also very rewarding especially when a discovery is made, or a brick wall knocked down.......enjoy it.
Gloria

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:07 pm 

Hi Mel,
I am not sure yet if my Thomas is actually the same Thomas as yours, i have lots of notes an need to go through an sort!. Howeva, I have found Thomas was born 1813 Hanley an died b4 1871. Married Sarah Coxon (born 1815 Etruria) she was buried 8th Oct. 1882 at Hanley cemetry. Their children were :
Herbert Coxon born 1843
* *Thomas Coxon born 1846 Hanley, married Annie Blackhurst 8th june 1867 at St. Mathew, Etruria (more info to follow)
Ralph Coxon born 1st Dec 1848 married Martha Ellen Rushton 30th may 1869 at Hope Holy Trinity, Hanley, Martha born 1849 in Oughton, died 8th Feb 1915 They had i think 6 children but some of their dates do not tally?
William Coxon christened 10th may 1854
Joshua Coxon born 1st jan 1857, died 20th may 1923, buried Hanley cemetry. He married Elizabeth Flowers 13th Aug 1877 at Etruria parish church. The infoi have says they had maybe 8 children, Emily Ann coxon born 29th march 1889, married John William Whitehead 27th dec 1910. :roll:

Thankyou for the welcome Gloria, i found this site whilst trawling through lots of Thomas coxon's lol. Yes it is very addictive an frustrating, but i find it just makes it more interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:18 am 
Spider Lady

Yep, that's my lot. Bang on with all the details.I'm a bit frustrated at the lack of marriage for Thomas & Sarah and also no birth details for their first two children. Part of me wonders if Sarah married before Thomas and the 1st two children were something other than Coxon. It would explain a lot of missing info from registers and indexes.

I believe Thomas was the son of Joshua Coxon and Hannah but the church records for the few years surrounding his probable birth and nigh on illegible so there is an element of doubt in this. I tried the copies at Hanley and Stafford and then went for the BT's at Lichfield. Guess which year appears to be missing! My assumption is based on the 1841 census. There are 2 Thomas Coxons of the same age. One living with Hannah and a few others and the other living with his parents. He's a bricklayer and the occupation is the main reason I can discount him on other sources. My Thomas was labourer or potter.

HO107/992/9 folio 32 pg 12
Marsh St Hanley
Hannah Cockson 60 Wid Y
Thomas 35 Y
Joseph 20 Y
Abigail 20 Y
Henry 1 Y

I hadn't meant Martha Rushton on my previous message. Im getting my Marthas mixed up! It was Martha Marsden. She died in 1851 and believe he remarried to Harriet Pennington.

St Peter, Stoke. 19/7/1841
Thomas Coxon, miner Bachelor Bricklayer Shelton Thomas Coxon Bricklayer
Martha Marsden minor Spinster Shelton John Marsden Weaver
Wit: Elijah Coxon & Ellen Coxon

HO107/990/10 folio 21 pg 33
New Street, Hanley
Coxon Thomas 56 - Brick Layer Yes
Coxon Diana 55 - Yes
Coxon Alice 20 - Yes
Coxon Thomas 18 - Brick Layer Yes
Coxon Cordelia 16 - Painter Yes
Coxon John 13 - Brick Layer Yes

HO107/2004 folio 106 pg 3
East View Place, Wellington, Hanley
Thomas Coxon Head M 27 Bricklayer b.Hanley
Martha Wife M 30 b.Malta, British subject
Charlotte Dau 8 scholar b.Hanley
Thomas Son 6 Scholar b.Hanley
Elizabeth Shackleton Serv U 17 General serv b.Salop Oswestry

RG9/1932 folio 16 pg 25
20 Toll St, Hanley
Coxon Thomas 39 Head Brick Layer Hanley, Staffordshire
Coxon Harriott 37 Wife Hanley, Staffordshire
Coxon Charlotte 18 Daughter Paintress Hanley, Staffordshire
Coxon Thomas 15 Son Potter Hanley, Staffordshire
Coxon Emily 23 Daughter Hanley, Staffordshire
Coxon Fredrick 9 M Son Hanley, Staffordshire

Are you based in Staffordshire? I'm in Longton.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!