Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:54 pm 

There's also Mary Ann Nutter born abt 1822 who married Halstead (Halstead) Foster in 1846. Nutter seems to have been a very common name in Briercliffe. They were my gggrandparents.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:52 pm 

I also think it's Bannister Nutter but the one who married Jane Stuttard not Mary Procter/Proctor. The reason being their daughter named 'Olive' & other family names.

These are my notes. The names are cut & pasted from Ancestry so the names are written as they appear on there!

1861 Haggate
James Jackson 40 plasterer
Susannah Jackson 42 (nee Susannah Nutter b.1818)
Mary Jackson 11 powerloom cotton weaver
John Jackson 10 powerloom cotton weaver
Robert Jackson 8 scholar
James Jackson 7 scholar
Betty Nutter 31 lodger/powerloom cotton weaver (Susannah's sister)
Bannister Nutter 19 nephew/powerloom cotton weaver

Lancashire Marriage indexes for the years: 1861
Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference
NUTTER Bannister STUTTARD Jane Burnley Register Office or Registrar Attended Preston RM/17/63

1871 Catlow, Nelson
Bannester Nutter 29 quarryman
Jane Nutter 33
Mary E Nutter 8 (Mary Ellen)
Susannah Nutter 7
Elizabeth A Nutter 4 (Elizabeth Ann)
Olive Nutter 1

1881 Lane Bottom, Briercliffe
Bannister Nutter 40 plasterer
Jane Nutter 43
Mary Nutter 19 cotton weaver
Sussannah Nutter 17 cotton weaver
Olive Nutter 14 cotton weaver
Elizabeth Nutter 11 cotton weaver half time

1891 55, Burnley Road, Briercliffe
Bannister Nutter 49 plasterer
Jane Nutter 55
James Blackburn 12 adopted son/cotton weaver born Briercliffe

1901 20, Townley Street, Briercliffe
Bannister Nutter 58 plasterer
Jane Nutter 63
Alfred Laycock 13 grandson/cotton weaver born Briercliffe

Bannister Nutter
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1842
Year of Registration: 1917
Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
Age at Death: 75
District: Burnley
County: Lancashire, Yorkshire - West Riding
Volume: 8e
Page: 184

Post subject: Re: Alice Nutter b. 1819
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:04 pm 

Annie29750 wrote:
Hi Charon
I got the birthdate from Haggate records on this site.
I was pleased to add my tree to the site BUT I must say that I have no provenance for John Nutter's b. 1816 parents - John Nutter & Sarah Spencer. So if anyone spots any errors - I would be extremely grateful.
Annie

Sorry to resurrect an old thread.

Annie - my great-grandfather is Alfred Nutter, son of your John(3) Nutter. Thank you so much for sharing so much great info.

I can add a little more information about John's wife, Rosa Nutter, born in 1850. She is the (presumably illegitimate) daughter of Jane Hartley. Jane married William Ellott in 1854 and Rosa is shown as Rosa Elliott in the 1861 census. Jane was baptised 16 Jul 1820 St Bartholomew, Colne, Lancashire (Dau of Thomas Hartley & Grace).

I'm slightly puzzled by your entry for John Nutter's b 1816 parents; the birth details appear to say John & Sally rather than John & Sarah. Have I misunderstood something?

Post subject: Re: Nutter
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:12 am 

Thanks for the info re Rosa. If you look on the Briercliffe Church baptism records for John Nutter & his siblings, Alice, Sarah & Mary Ann - their parents are John & Sally. For sister Susannah - it reverts to John & Sarah. Sally is a familiar form of 'Sarah'.
best wishes
Annie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:12 pm 

This may be of some general interest to the Nutter's on this site. Built into the terrace in Fife st, Barrowford is a Terrace Plaque re: Nutter's Terrace 1909. I know nothing about it. Just one of those things you see on a walk-about.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:45 pm 
Computer Whizz

Interesting Thankyou Plaques.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:59 pm 

Thanks Plaques - I wonder if the guy who built it was a Nutter! :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:18 pm 

Just to add to the confusion. There are two terrace rows with terrace plaques. The even numbers of Fife St are from 2 to 24, and 26 to 50. The Terrace 26 to 50 was built first , Lonsdale Terrace 1907, Nutter's Terrace 1909 was built second. It may have been that the Terrace names were used before it got its official ' Fife St' name. Also, it could be the builder was a 'Nutter' or that the person who commissioned it was a Nutter.
I may add there is a very large old Co-Op building on the adjacent Himilton Rd, built 1913. The size of this building looks as though they were expecting the area to expand much larger than it did in those times. The Owner / resident of this Co-op conversion would be interested in any details about it. The Nelson Library have nothing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:02 pm 

I see this is an old thread, but still relevant! My Nutter family go back to John Nutter born 1788. All the family lived at Bradley Lane Head, Great Marsden, Nelson. I can see from his 2nd marriage to Ellen Brown (Cook) that his father's name was James - and that's where I'm stuck! I can't find for sure which James this was, who he married or anything. Has anyone got these Nutters in their tree please? One of their sons was John Nutter b. abt 1818, who married Mary Varley who I think were referred to on this thread back in 2008!

Thank you

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:23 pm 

Plaques wrote:
Just to add to the confusion. There are two terrace rows with terrace plaques. The even numbers of Fife St are from 2 to 24, and 26 to 50. The Terrace 26 to 50 was built first , Lonsdale Terrace 1907, Nutter's Terrace 1909 was built second. It may have been that the Terrace names were used before it got its official ' Fife St' name. Also, it could be the builder was a 'Nutter' or that the person who commissioned it was a Nutter.

This could be the chap:
ROBERT LONSDALE NUTTER was born Bet. Apr - Jun 1877 in
Nelson, Lancashire. He married ANNIE BAXENDALE 14 Feb 1906 in St. Thomas', Barrowford.
Notes for ROBERT LONSDALE NUTTER: Robert was 39 yrs. 2 mths on enlistment to reservist list. He was living at 10, Montreal Street, Carlisle and
was a bricklayer & mason by trade.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:02 pm 

GranAnn wrote:
I see this is an old thread, but still relevant! My Nutter family go back to John Nutter born 1788. All the family lived at Bradley Lane Head, Great Marsden, Nelson. I can see from his 2nd marriage to Ellen Brown (Cook) that his father's name was James - and that's where I'm stuck! I can't find for sure which James this was, who he married or anything. Has anyone got these Nutters in their tree please? One of their sons was John Nutter b. abt 1818, who married Mary Varley who I think were referred to on this thread back in 2008!

Thank you

hank you Janet.Great information and all the way from New England too.Thank You

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:43 pm 

I have recently joined the Forum and noticed that several people appear to be researching the same branch of the Nutter Family as myself.
My Gt Grandfather was Job Nutter, son of James Nutter born 1811 who married Susannah Varley.
I would be interested to see how we are related.
I have done my DNA and found several relatives in USA,South Africa and Australia.
Regards,
Pam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6