Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: McGlinn Family Name
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:40 pm 

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum but hope I am in the right place to find information to help me track my family roots. I am looking for information regarding the McGlinn family name, I know that I am a descendent of the McGlinn family that lived at 9 Cross Street, Habergham Eaves, Burnley - i.e. Patrick McGlinn and Bridget McGlinn (nee Hart). Patrick died at 9 Cross Street on 11/09/1878, and I believe my grandfather Roger McGlinn was in the household, aged about 2 years at that time. I am also keen, if possible, to find any maps that show Cross Street, as I am in touch with relatives in Australia, Canada and America who are all looking for the same information. I was born in Bacup, but left when I was 5 or 6, and now live in Suffolk. Thanks for looking at my post, any help or information you may have will be much appreciated.

Post subject: Re: McGlinn Family Name
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:18 pm 
Computer Whizz

Hi Wonky-Donkey, welcome to the site.
Sorry but the only Cross St I can think of is the one in Harle Syke.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:33 pm 

Hello Gloria, thanks for the welcome and for your quick response, I will see if that location is worth following up. :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:19 am 
Spider Lady

Hi Wonky-Donkey, welcome to the forum.

There is another Cross Street Gloria (not that I knew it before!). I searched for Cross Street, Habergham Eaves and it came up with Cross Street in Worsthorne. :shock:

Of course, if there was one in Habergham Eaves, it doesn't mean it is still there today.

I have an older map here, not sure if it is a street map. I'll have a look at that later.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:26 am 

Hello Mel. Thanks for this extra information, I will see what I can find about that location too, although I suspect the Habergham Eaves location (if there ever was a Cross Street there) has probably made way for other development. Thanks again for your help. :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:55 am 
Spider Lady

There's no date on the street map that I have but I would guess it was fairly recent - 1970's/1980's.
The only Cross Street it shows is Harle Syke.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:25 pm 
Sage of Simonstone

If they were there in 1871, or if any of the family were still there in 1881, you could get a clue from the neighbouring streets on the census. I did quickly check 1881 but couldn't find ither Bridget or Roger, I can't check other years as I've dumped my ancestry subscription for now.

Incidentally, there was a Bridget died 1874, aged 0. She may or may not be one of the same family.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:52 pm 
Computer Whizz

In 1881 there is a Roger McGlenn (could be a typo) aged 4yrs in the Union Workhouse, Briercliffe Rd. No Bridget with him though.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:34 pm 

Hi,
On the 1891 living in Rawtenstall there is a Roger Mcglinn age 16 living with his mother Mary ,brother Thomas,sister Phobe,on the 1881 there are entries for Thomas,Phobe and Roger in Burnley union workhouse.Is this "your" Roger? How sure are you that his mother was named Bridget?
Gilly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:50 pm 

There was a Crossfield at Habergham which apparently had the old stone cross nearby, so the street probably came later :?:

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:55 am 

Hello everyone, sorry that I have not responded to some of your posts, which are all interesting and worth looking into. I am afraid that I had a major computer failure and lost all my bookmarks etc, and am only just getting back into the 'family name hunt'. The information about Rawtenstall is interesting, as although I am fairly confident Rogers mother was Bridget, he also had a sister called Phoebe - so this is something I will pursue. Thanks again for your contributions, I will 'back-up' stuff this time!

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:56 pm 

Hi,

If you haven`t found it yet, Cross Street, Habergham Eaves was a small row of terrace that ran parallel to Cow Lane and behind the buildings on St James Street. On a modern map (google maps) it was situated where the car park is on the left hand side of Cow Lane.

Mo

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:46 pm 

How Do Wonky-Donkey
Mo is correct in positioning Habergham Eaves Cross St. (don't get confused by the Burnley Cross St: near Bridge St). The exact position is Easting. 383826 Northing 432573. Probably the best way of getting this map is by using. http://mario.lancashire.gov.uk. It takes a bit of getting familiar with. Open it just to the left of "Burnley" Move and expand until you are over St James St/ Westgate / Cow lane. then clicking the "historic Information" on the the left hand table. tick the drop down box for OS First Addition 1:2,500. This should give you the map you want. Failing this I can send you an attachment map via Mel.