Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The Proctor Family
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:02 pm 

Hi,
I am researching my Grandfather's family - Walter Proctor born 1892 - who was married to Evelyn and until the 1970's lived in Cobden Street, Harle Syke. His father was Thomas Proctor, mother Alice with brothers William, Rennie and sister Clara. In 1901 census the family were living at Pig Hole Mill, Briercliffe, also the Quaker Houses and Meeting Houses in Briercliffe. Both Walter and Evelyn worked at Queen Street Mill until the 1960s.
I would be grateful for any information about this family, where they lived and worked - as I am trying to build up as much information about my family as possible so that I can pass this down to my children. Although I now live in Nottingham, I have many happy memories of time spent in and around Harle Syke as a child visiting my grandparents (I then lived in North Wales) and I'll never forget seeing my Grandmother at work in the weaving sheds at Queen Street Mill.
Any information, direct or indirect would be gratefully received.

Post subject: Re: The Proctor Family
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:41 pm 

Hi...Sorry I have no more info for you on the Proctor family. A friend of mine currently lives at Pighole Mill, and Im sure that he would be very interested in any information relating to the Proctors stay there.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:13 pm 
Sage of Simonstone

Sorry - I have a number of Proctors on my tree but none of them have the names you mention.
Good hunting

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:45 pm 

Thankyou re Pig Hole Mill - I'll probably be making a trip 'up North' in the spring and will definately check out this location, and maybe even knock on your friends door! I'm also researching the Cockcroft family, who were originally from Bacup, but lived in Harle Syke from 1930s to 1950s. Mother Mary Ellen Cockcroft nee. Whitworth born 1900, husband Percy Cockcroft born 1900, and their 3 sons Stanley, Jack, Ivor (my father) and Terry. I know they lived at Oaken Bank for a while. Again, any information always appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:43 pm 

Hi

I was interested to see this posting - I am not sure at the moment wether this is the same family as mine but I think it may be! My great grandfather was Arthur Proctor who was the son of Thomas Proctor and Alice Lambert. Arthur never actually lived with his parents - don't know why - he was brought up by his grandpaents Robert Proctor and Elizabeth Nuttall, and by one of his paternal aunts Sarah Eastwood nee Proctor.
Arthur had siblings Willie b. 1885, Walter b. 1893, Rennie b.1896 and Clara b. 1901 - if this sounds correct then please let me know I would be interedsted to hear from you

Regards

Anne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:20 pm 

Hi Anne
We are definately researching the same family - my grandfather was Walter Proctor, son of Thomas Proctor and Alice Lambert. I have never been aware of a brother Arthur, but my grandfather used to tell me what a poor family they were, so perhaps thats why Arthur went to live with his grandparents. Also I knew that their grandfather was Robert, but didn't know his wife's name, so now I have another surname - Nuttall - to look into, so thank you for getting in touch. I can't work out what relation we are to each other, but we both have some Proctor blood in us! I haven't yet managed to trace Willie, Rennie or Clara, so if you have any information about them I would be very grateful.

Thankyou, Sarah

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:29 pm 

Hi Sarah

Have sent you an email - hope to hear from you soon

Anne