Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:12 pm 
Spider Lady

The fourth day of April 1832 John Halstead otherwise Sutcliffe and Moses Heap the Executors in this Will named were sworn in common

form, and they further made unto that the personal estate and effects of the Testator within the Diocese of Chester were under the

value of 22£
before me
? Henderson Surrogate
The Testator died the twentyfourth day of October 1831
Probate issued Dated 4 Apr 1832

This is the last Will and Testament of me John Sutcliff of High Ridehalgh in the Township of Briercliff in the County of Lancaster Farmer, which I do Make Publish and Declare now whilst I am of Sound and Disposing memory in manner and form following that is to say; I give to my daughter Martha, wife of John Holgate the Sum of Fiftey Pounds; I give to my Daughter Nancey, the wife of Edmund Heape, the Sum of Fiftey five Pounds; I givw to my Son Moses Sutcliffe the Sum of Fortey Pounds; I give to my Executors herein after named the Sum of Nintey Pounds; Upon Trust to layout and apply the same, For the use and benefit of my Sun John Sutcliff when He dose Stand the most in want of help of Relife, in Such Sums and Proportions and at Such times as to my Executors shall Sem best to gether with Interest that may arise in the meane time I then Direct my Executors herein after named to pay to my Sun John Sutcliff Such Sums as the may think he Stands in nede of to begin at Six Munths after my desease and from time to time after when he has Occasion untile he has receved the Sum of Nintey Pounds; with what Interest it May Accumulate But in Caise my Sun John Sutcliff Happen to die befor he has receved the Sum of Nintey Pounds; I then order ans Direct that the resedue and Remender if aney Unpayd after the Expences of Buring him is paid and all other Incedentel Expences is paid there oute, I then order the Resedue if any Remening to be Equaley Devided to and amongst My tow Daughters & my Sun Moses Sutcliff My Sun William Sutcliff being all redey Provided for in my life time be mee, if aney of my Daughters or Sun Moses Sutcliff be Ded the Shairs to be paid to there Childering at Six Munths after my Sun John Sutcliff Deseas I order and Direct that my Executors Shale pay at the Expiration of Six Munth after my Deaseas, to pay unto my Sun and Daughters the Different Sums Speckified in this my last Will and Testament then all the Rest and Residue of my Personal Estate I give to my tow Suns and tow daughters Moses John and Martha and Nancey Equaley Shaire and Shair alicke My Sun William Sutcliff being all Redey Provided for in my life time by Me My Executors paying all My Just Debts and Burial Expences and the Charges of the Probart hereof Hereof with any expences Incident to the Execution hearof And I nominate and Appoint John Halstead otherwise Sutcliffe and Moses Heape Executors of this my last Will hereby Revoking all former Wills by me Maide in Witness whereof I have hereunto Set my Hand and Seal this Twelth day of March in the year of our Lord One thousand eight hundred and Thertey one My Executors not to be Acountabol for any loss that may hapon to my Personal Estate
Leter or Marck John X Sutcliff
Signed and Published and Declared by the said Testator as for his last Will and Testament in the presence of us
William Whitaker
James Durden

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:46 pm 
Spider Lady

1896 SUTCLIFFE Betty of 11 Nicholl-street, Burnley widow died 28 January 1896 Probate Lancaster 13 February to Robert Sutcliffe weaver and Mary Elizabeth Hewitt (wife of William Hewitt) Effects £136 10s.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:48 am 
Spider Lady

1894 SUTCLIFFE Margaret 10 April.
Administration of the effcts of Margaret Sutcliffe (Wife of John Sutcliffe) late of Burnley in the County of Lancaster who died 16 December 1873 at Burnley was granted at the Principal Registry to the said John Sutcliffe of 15 Oak-Mount-street in the Borough of Burnley Cut Looker

1893 SUTCLIFFE John of 73 St. Andrew's-road-south St. Anne's-on-the-Sea Lancashire cotton manufacturer died 19 September 1893 Probate London 31 October to Rosa Sutcliffe widow and Albert Sutcliffe cotton manufacturer
Effects £4316 0s. 8d.

http://briercliffesociety.co.uk/Grave%2 ... liffe1.htm

The stone transcription says Margaret died 1872. This is probably an error on my part. I'll try to take a look the next time I am up north.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:00 am 
Spider Lady

1937 SUTCLIFFE Joseph Thomas of 14 Cartmell-road Lytham-Saint-Annes Lancashire died 15 March 1937 Probate London 13 April to Henry Landless Smith Solicitor
Effects £10056 17s. 6d.

1937 SUTCLIFFE Lettice of 14 Cartmell-road Lytham-Saint-Annes Lancashire widow died 30 March 1937 Probate London 20 April to Henry Landless Smith Solicitor and Margery Dawson spinster.
Effects £7948 16s. 7d.

Joseph was the son of the above John and Margaret, Lettice was his wife. How sad that they died within a couple of weeks of each other. I wonder if they 'shared' an illness?