Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Beer license
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:35 am 
Spider Lady

I've just stumbled on the following article for my gt gt Grandmothers brother. The address given in the article is the address given in the Parish Records for the baptisms of several of his children. In February 1879, he has a daughter baptised at St Andrews and gives his address as 79 Colne Road. Does anyone know how I might find out if his application was refused - this may be what made him move address? He stayed in the St Andrews area and ran a watchmakers business for many years, I believe he passed on the business to his son Thomas.

Burnley Express
Saturday 19 January 1878

To the Overseers of the Poor of the Township of Reedley Hallows, in the County of Lancaster, and to the Superintendent of Police of the District of the said Township.

I, Sutcliffe Sutcliffe, now residing at Numbers 1 and 3, Byerden Lane, in the Township of Reedley Hallows, in the said County, and holder of a Strong Beer Dealer's Wholesale Excise License, do hereby give you notice that it is my intention to apply at a Special Sessions for Licensing purposes to be holden at the Sessions Room, in Burnley, in and for the Higher Division of the Hundred of Blackburn, in the said County, on the eleventh day of February one thousand eight hundred and seventy eight, for an additional license to sell beer by retail, in pursuance of the several Acts of Parliament, in that case made and provided, to be drunk and comsumed off the premises, at the Houses or Shops situate at Numbers 1 and 3, Byerden Lane aforesaid, in the said County, of which premises the Executors of Thomas Birley are the owners, of whom I rent them, and which premises are now occupied by me as a House and Shop.
Given under my hand this seventeenth day of January, one thousand eight hundred and seventy-eight.
Sutcliffe Sutcliffe

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

Post subject: Re: Beer license
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:46 am 
Spider Lady

Found this article for the following year

Burnley Advertiser
Saturday 09 August 1879

To the Overseers of the Poor of the Township of Burnley, and to the Superintendent of Police of the District of the Borough of Burnley, in the County of Lancaster

I, Sutcliffe Sutcliffe, grocer, now residing at numbers 79, Colne-road and 1, Heap-street, in the Township of Burnley, in the said Borough, do hereby give you notice that it is my intention to apply at the General Annual Licensing Meeting for the said Borough to be holden at the Sessions Room, in Burnley, in the said Borough, on the twenty-ninth day of August instant, for a license to hold an Excise License to sell by retail beer and cider, in pursuance of the several Acts of Parliament in that case made and provided, to be drunk or consumed off the premises, at the Houses or Shops situate at 79, Colne-road and 1, Heap-street, in the said Township and borough, of which premises Joseph Howard, farmer, of Causeway End, Cliviger, near near Burnley aforesaid, is the owner, of whom I rent them, and which premises are now occupied by me as a grocer's shop.
Given under my hand this second day of August, one thousand eight hundred and seventy-nine.
Sutcliffe Sutcliffe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:23 pm 

Mel I'm not sure if this helps but in the 1890 Burnley directory, Sutcliffe Sutcliffe is registered at 118 Colne Rd.

Thomas Eltoft at 79 Colne Rd
Joseph Sutcliffe at 23 Heap St.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:04 pm 
Spider Lady

Thanks Plaques - I think it was 118 where he ran the watchmakers business from and not the 79. I didn't realise he had lived at more than one Colne Road address. I have written notes on him somewhere if I can just put my hands on them!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:54 pm 

Mel,

I take it you are using the British Newspaper Archive website.

Search (advanced) under '3 Byerden Lane'. Look at April 13, Burnley Advertiser : at the premises is Meshullemeth Watson, gaining a permit to sell.

I kid you not, and I certainly haven't an ancestor with that name !

Rex

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:03 pm 

I've done a bit more research, though there is no obvious link to SUTCLIFFE beyond the address on Barden (Byerden) Lane.

Meshumelleth is a very rare (female) name of Hebrew origin, found in the Old Testament I think. She is at the same address in 1881, and it's the 'far end' of Barden Lane, at Reedley Halt. A lodger is Reuben SILVERWOOD, and they married later in 1881. Reuben died in 1887, Meshumelleth in 1914. She was born in Barnoldswick.

Rex

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:03 am 
Spider Lady

Thanks for the info Rex (sorry for the extremely delayed reply!). I haven't yet managed to view the article, I was getting a 404 error the other day. I hope to take another look later today when I can make use of the main computer (smartphones are great for emails but useless when wanting to view detailed images!)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:41 am 
Spider Lady

What an unusual name! I would have expected it to be male. Any ideas what it would have been shortened to?