Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: John & Ann Townley
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:25 pm 

I am looking for information related to John Townley (my gt-gt-gt Grandfather) Mechanic from Blackburn, born in Chipping about 1804. John Townley married Ann in Preston about 1828 I had one source that her surname was Hinde, but that could not verified for sure. Census data indicate she was born in Gargrave, Yorkshire in about 1804. I am trying to see if I can find information for the parents of both John and Ann and any information related to the marriage of John and Ann.

This is my first post to this forum. Kris suggested I try it. There is a Townley-Leaver connection through the daughter of John Townley - Mary Ann (Townley) Leaver.

Brad

Post subject: Re: John & Ann Townley
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:23 pm 
Willfinder General

Hi Brad, welcome to the site.

Further to the Townley-Leaver connection, Mary Ann Townley (1833-1891) married James Leaver of Extwistle (1831-1906), 1857 at Blackburn. James Leaver was the son of James Leaver (1806-1848) and Elizabeth Thompson (1799).

Cheers, Kris

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:55 pm 

Following up on my own post:

I have discovered with almost certain probability that John Townley married Ann Hyde, instead of Ann Hinde (as shown in the IGI). In my research I could not find any Hinde family residing in Gagrave, Yorkshire, the birthplace listed for Ann Townley in subsequent Censuses. The light came on when I checked the Lancashire BMD (believe there had been some updates adding mothers’ surnames) and noted the Mother’s surname listed for the children of John and Ann Townley born in Blackburn was Hyde. Then it all fell into place, as there was a record of an Ann Hyde born in Gargrave at the right date, along with several siblings. Thanks to all of you for providing me hints from other posts and threats to help me work around brick walls.

The father of John Townley continues to elude me, but there are several possibilities. I believe the key will be to find the record of marriage of John and Ann, which should list the father of John Townley. The On-Line Parish Clerk site does not list any marriages in Preston for the year that I am seeking. Does anyone know if these would likely be found in the LDS tapes (IGI index)? The other place to look would be the Chipping parish for christening records, but am unsure if any exist today.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:55 am 
Spider Lady

Glad you have had some success!

IGI can be hit and miss. Not all regions are covered and not all churches within an area. Also, often a church may be included but not all years for that church. I think you can search the catalogue held by the LDS on the familysearch website though I've not done it so couldn't say how. The best thing would be to visit your local LDS library (or contact them by phone) and ask them if they have or can order the records you require. They will have a catalogue on the premises, it's on microfiche here in the UK.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:51 pm 

Thanks, Mel. That will be my next step. There is an LDS family center just a few miles cross town. Brad

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:54 pm 

On the familysearch website home page click on Library, then Catalogue on the drop down menu. This brings up several search fields. A click on place search, the first one, will give the records that Salt Lake City holds for that place, including church records. 'View film notes' shows the years covered in each record. The film can be ordered for a small charge at a family history centre and delivered there.

As I'm in a different country from my family of origin, I've found it an invaluable service, especially before records became more available on the Internet.

Joan